Wednesday 14 August 2013

Gluten free bread and butter pudding?



I know, I know, it sounds like a complete paradox right? But the truth is there are more gluten free products on the market than ever before.  Bread has always been one of the trickiest things to reproduce. How do you get the softness you want for your favourite sandwich loaf, how do you recreate that texture in a product with no gluten? There have been many bread substitutes over the years and the ones I have tried have been dry and horrible. I have not found anything suitable at all. Till recently.

I am a convert to Genius bread. I can honestly say that. Bread that tastes like bread, with a nice texture, is soft and makes great sandwiches, toast, fried bread, French toast.... These are a few of the paces I have put Genius bread through, and its met every challenge. So I have been having a loaf every week. It's not the cheapest at £3 for a large loaf which has just enough slices to do me a sandwich every day for a week, but no gluten free bread is. But one week I found myself with most of a loaf left due to an odd set of circumstances.  I wasn't going to waste all that bread so... Time to gamble. I made bread and butter pudding. And it was wonderful! Just how it should have been! So I thought I would share the recipe I have used, and say that yes! Gluten free bread and butter pudding is indeed possible!

  • 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
  • 8 thin slices bread
  • 50g sultanas
  • 2 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 350ml whole milk
  • 50ml double cream
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 25g granulated sugar
  • Nutmeg, grated, to taste

    Grease your container with butter. It needs to be about 2 pint or 1 litre in capacity.

    Butter your bread, cut the crusts off and cut into triangles. 

    Start arranging your triangles in your container as you like. With each layer throw on some of your sultanas and dust with cinnamon to taste. 


    Crack your eggs into a bowl and add three quarters of your sugar. Whisk gently till the eggs are pale and set aside.

    Gently warm your milk and cream slowly up to scalding point, do not let it boil. If you are like me and have never done a proper custard before, this means heating it while you stir it to prevent a skin forming, and watching for when it starts to steam and bubble a little, before it comes to the boil. It needs to be hot enough to cook the egg, but not so hot as to scramble it when you add it to the eggs.

    Pour over your eggs while whisking to mix thoroughly into custard. Pour your custard over your prepared bread and leave it to rest and soak up the custard.

    Preheat your oven to 180 degrees

    Once the pudding has soaked up the custard, sprinkle on the rest of your sugar and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden brown.



    Enjoy!

    Till next time.

    Kat xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment